Saturday, January 17, 2009

Who doesn't love water??

Seriously...water is a great thing! It tastes good....It's refreshing to swim in....It helps you feel clean...It's a hydrating necessity...Actually we couldn't live without it. The majority of our bodies are made of water. It makes so many beautiful flowers and plants grow. It provides ice cubes that Chloe LOVES to chase around on the floor. What could be better???

Probably....not freezing in the pipes when it's 12 degrees outside!!!! Yep...we had ANOTHER...actually THE SAME pipe bust today! Can you believe it? Almost a year to date we were dealing with a flooded house on our brand new 2 week old hardwood floors. Yesterday morning I came home from work in 12 degree weather...brushed my teeth....turned my electric heater on...put my warmest pjs on and went to sleep. I woke up about 1:30 in the afternoon and went to get a drink of water in the kitchen. I grab a glass....turn the faucet on and Alas...nothing...nada. I freak!!! I go to the washer right next door...Nothing...nada! Ok...I tell myself..stay calm...there's no water like last time. It's all frozen in the pipe. It's still way below freezing outside so you can catch it and turn the water off before it floods. Casey was student teaching and wouldn't be home for a few hours so what did I do. If the hubby's not home to answer questions....go to the next best thing. The internet! I didn't know how to turn the water off, but some helpful websites said to thaw the pipes out with a hairdryer or heater and it would take hours. Now I don't know about you, but I don't have the arm strength or stamina or TIME to hold a hairdryer for hours! I placed the electric heater close to the opened cabinets underneath the sink and waited. I was praying the pipe wasn't busted and the water would flow like the Nantahala. When Casey came home he merely went to the garage and twisted a knob. Ummmppph. Easy! We just waited all night...but of course the weather got even colder as the night went on, so we decided to try again tomorrow. Today...the water thawed and the pipe was leaking. At least the water was turned off and we were able to drain the water outward using a baking pan. Those things have more than one use in my book now! For some reason there was still some water trickling out of the pipe enough to soak a towel within an hour or so. Now last year due to the flooding and uneducation we hired a plumber (who we thought the insurance paid for....*note* They Don't!!!) So $900 later (plumber and $500 deductable) we had a tiny new pipe and an entire kitchen of brand new hardwood to replace. *Sigh* This year...My smart husband and $17 later fixed our pipe and will have water at last praying the glue dries and no more incidences occur. Thank God for smart and competent husbands! It's amazing how much we depend on something so basic and in abundance...well for the most part. I went to make mac and cheese last night and forgot...No water! I flushed the toilet by habit and forgot...No water!! I am so thankful to have a roof over my head....heat in my house....food in my fridge....and water in my faucets...frozen or free flowing. I was reminded to stop and be thankful for the simple things in life!

3 comments:

Linda said...

I hope your glue is dry by now! Yes, water is a wonderful necessity. I hope you do not have any more problems with your pipes.
Linda

Jill Crosby said...

Hey...that's even more true now...(after last night that is)I'm glad your house was 3 doors down!!

Anonymous said...

Useful infоrmatіon. Fоrtunate mе I
found уοur ѕitе unintentіоnally, and I'm shocked why this coincidence didn't happened
eаrlieг! I bοοκmarκeԁ it.


Feel freе tо visit my pаgе ..
. bucket truck safety
Take a look at my blog :: used bucket trucks for sale