Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Blaze..



So Thursday night about 10:00 P.M. I'm laying in bed watching TV when all of a sudden I hear sirens galore. Now...we live right off a busy highway and the sound of sirens is not uncommon. However, that night they sounded extra close. I look out my bedroom window to find the lights in my neighborhood. I immediately think...Oh gosh...one of my elderly next door neighbors has had a heart attack. Seeing how both men on either side of us look like their in their 70's your mind would have jumped to the same conclusion. I'm preparing myself to aid however I can. I look out the front door windows to find the sky lit up bright orange! The house 3 down from us is massively on fire!!! I yell to Casey and we go running outside. Every firetruck in Henry County is in our little cul-de-sac. I have never seen a fire like this...HUGE! and not slowing down. At first, I'm in shock. I was pretty sure a family still lived there even though I'm sad to say I had never talked to them nor knew if they had moved out or not. From the crowd and the slow speed of the firemen I assumed nobody was inside. The flames were enveloping the roof and blowing out of a top story window like nobody's business. They started hosing it down with what seemed to be pretty wimpy water. It dissipated some of the fire briefly, but soon the blaze was even more rapant. The flames on the side of the roof was so close to their neighbor's house I was so afraid it would catch fire. Thank the Lord it didn't. Nor did all the embers flying about all of our yards. It did melt the vinyl on one side of a neighbor's house. Once the firemen realized they weren't getting anywhere with the wimpy water they raised up on ladders and used powerful hoses that I'm sure if you were standing in their path would cut you in two! After probably 15-20 minutes the flames were gone and almost nothing was left of the roof and upstairs. It's amazing how fast a beautiful house can disappear before your eyes! Pretty much the whole neighborhood was standing in our yard or cul-de-sac to watch. We're such a nosy society when something out of the ordinary happens. Luckily nobody was hurt and come to find out a teenage girl, who's mom is a nurse who was working nights at the time, got a bad note from her teacher and decided to burn it. When the flames got out of control she decided to put the fire out with PERFUME! Not the best idea! The fire erupted into a huge blaze and her poor little brother who was taking shower had to run out of the house with just a towel. During the fire we didn't see them, so we thought no one was home. We found out the whole story the next day. It's very sad and the neighborhood is collecting money for them since they were renters and have no insurance. Just wanted to share the exciting things happening in McDonough.

This is the aftermath...

5 comments:

MC Hammer, DJ Jazzy Jeff and EDT said...

Kelly- HOW CRAZY!! I am so glad that everyone was ok. I am glad that the fire didn't spread to other houses close by...like YOURS!!!!!! I love you friend!! MC

Jenny said...

Oh goodness! Poor family! Did any of the house survive?

I was just working on a study of Cain and Abel and how Cain made a bad situation worse. This story reminded me of that. Poor poor girl. I guess the mom found out about that note.

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hollie Carson said...

Wow, that's so sad. SO SAD. I'm happy that nobody was in the house. Whew.

Hollie Carson said...

p.s. What a great time to minister!